Rockhold, Jacare, and Marquardt headed to big show
Since news broke that Strikeforce would cease all operations following their January 12th card, fight fans all over wondered who would be making their way from the hexagon to the octagon. Now, on the heels of the news that lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez and heavyweight grand prix champion Daniel Cormier would make their debuts at the UFC on Fox 7 event, a new batch of fighters has been announced to head over to the big show.
On Tuesday's edition of UFC Tonight the following fighters were confirmed:
- Daniel Cormier (11-0 MMA, 8-0 SF)
- Gegard Mousasi (33-3-2 MMA, 4-1-1 SF)
- Gian Villante (10-3 MMA, 3-2 SF)
- Roger Gracie (6-1 MMA, 4-1 SF)
- Tim Kennedy (15-4 MMA, 6-2 SF)
- Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF)
- Champ Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF)
- Ronaldo Souza (17-3 MMA, 7-1 SF)
- Roger Bowling (11-3 MMA, 4-3 SF)
- Jason High (16-3 MMA, 3-0 SF, 0-1 UFC)
- Nate Marquardt (32-11-2 MMA, 1-1 SF, 10-4 UFC)
- Champ Tarec Saffiedine (14-3 MMA, 6-1 SF)
- Bobby Voelker (24-8 MMA, 4-1 SF)
- Ryan Couture (6-1 MMA, 6-1 SF)
- Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 7-1 SF, 0-1 UFC)
- Kurt Holobaugh (8-1 MMA, 0-1 SF)
- Adriano Martins (24-6 MMA, 1-0 SF)
- Champ Gilbert Melendez (21-2 MMA, 11-1 SF)
- K.J. Noons (11-6 MMA, 3-4 SF)
- Josh Thomson (19-5 MMA, 10-3 SF, 2-1 UFC)
Just from looking at the list, MMA fans will surely get excited over the middleweight additions of Jacare Souza and champion Luke Rockhold, who could make an immediate impact within the UFC title picture.
Also of note would be the return of the now former Striekforce welterweight champion Nate Marquardt, who was previously let go from the UFC when he tested positive for a banned substance. The man who dethroned him, Tarec Saffiedine will also join him in the welterweight fold.
One notable name missing from the list is heavyweight Josh Barnett, who has had a history of bad blood with the promotion and Dana White. However, other announcements may be forthcoming.
Check out all our UFC news here