Shlemenko tops Falcao in main event
With Bellator 88 in the books, the promotion has finally found a new middleweight champion.
Top contenders Alexander Shlemenko and Maiquel Falcao battled in the main event of last night's card on Spike TV in front of the Georgia crowd. After a close first round, Shlemenko began finding greater success in the early join going of the second frame.
Working shots to the body, just before the midpoint of the round Falcao crashed to the floor, clearly feeling the effects of his opponent's striking. Shlemenko landed a few more shots to the body before working shots up top, knocking Falcao out cold at 2:18 of the second round to become the 185 lb. champion of Bellator.
Also at the event, the second round of the featherweight tournament was set as eight 145 lb. competitors fought in the opening round of the tourney.
Check out the full results below:
- Alexander Shlemenko def. Maiquel Falcao via knockout at 2:18 of Round 2
- Marlon Sandro def. Akop Stepanyan via majority decision (28-28, 29-27, 29-27) to advance in featherweight tourney
- Mike Richman def. Mitch Jackson via technical knockout at 4:57 of Round 1 to advance in featherweight tournament
- Alexandre Bezerra def. Genair Da Silva via submission (armbar) at 1:40 of Round 1 to advance in featherweight tournament
- Magomedrasul Khasbulaev def. Fabricio Guerreiro via submission (arm triangle choke) at 1:15 of Round 2 to advance in featherweight tournament
- Joe Elmore def. Jerrid Burke via knockout at 4:11 of Round 2
- Ronnie Rogers def. Shane Crenshaw via unanimous decision (29-28 29-28, 29-28)
- Clay Harvison def. Ururahy Rodrigues via technical knockout at 3:34 of Round 3
- George Hickman def. Stephen Upchurch via submission (rear naked choke) at 2:19 of Round 1