5 Fast Facts for the Upcoming Featherweight Title Fight
1. Though the featherweight title fight is scheduled to take place on August 3rd, 2013, the name and location of the event the fight will headline are still unconfirmed.
2. Both fighters are easily the fastest, most powerful and versatile strikers they have ever faced in the UFC. This will be the first time Jose Aldo does not hold a significant advantage in the kicking department, thanks to Anthony Pettis' dangerous Tae Kwon Do background. The same can be said for Pettis' usually dominant speed, as no one has been able to really land a solid shot on Jose Aldo in a very long time.
3. A 5th title defense for Aldo would tie Tito Ortiz's record as third all time for UFC title defenses. Pettis will also have been the third former WEC champion Aldo has vanquished, the others being Mike Brown and Urijah Faber.
4. Both fighters have nearly perfect records. Aldo has only suffered one loss in his career, and Pettis has only lost twice. It is important to note that Aldo's only loss was at lightweight, so he is currently undefeated at 145 lbs.
5. How the two stack up as grapplers is quite interesting. Aldo is a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu whereas Pettis is only a purple belt, yet Pettis has earned 3 submission victories as opposed to Aldo's 1. However, Pettis' last loss was due to the relentless wrestling of Clay Guida. Aldo, on the other hand, has arguably the best take down defense in the UFC and has never struggled to neutralize any aggressive grappling attacks. Many suspect that Aldo may attempt to take this fight to ground and pound out a victory similar to his TKO of Mike Brown in November of 2009.