10 Things You Need to Know for Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche
1. This bantamweight title fight will be the main event of UFC 157 which will take place February 23rd at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.
2. Rousey vs. Carmouche will also be the first women's MMA fight in UFC history.
3. Prior to the creation of the UFC's bantamweight division, Ronda Rousey was the women's champion of the recently deceased promotion Strikeforce. She was awarded the inagural UFC Women's Bantamweight Championship on Dec 6, 2012 at a UFC on Fox 5 pre-event press conference.
4. Rousey is undefeated in 6 fights, each of which she won by submission via armbar.
5. 5 of Rousey's 6 career wins have come inside the 1 minute mark of the first round.
7. Liz Carmouche's Strikeforce fight with Marloes Coenen in March of 2011 had a very similar outcome to Anderson Silva's first meeting with Chael Sonnen. Carmouche was dominating Coenen for the majority of the fight but got caught in a triangle choke in the middle of the fourth round.
8. Carmouche and Rousey are virtually identical in terms of reach, height and stance.
9. Liz Carmouche was not the first fighter who was offered the main event slot against Rousey. Apparently, several other bantamweights turned down the chance to be featured in this historic match-up before Carmouche was given the opportunity.
10. Though Carmouche is a huge underdog in this fight, many wonder whether her conditioning will give her a strong advantage if the fight goes past the second round. Rousey has never been in the cage for longer than 4 and a half minutes in her professional career whereas Carmouche has valuable experience fighting in the third and even fourth round of a fight.
Check out all of our UFC 157 news